For a lot of us winter brings snow and cold. And with that weather comes the gloomy mentality that accompanies lack of sunlight and warmth. During these winter blues it’s habitual to reach for a comfort drink such as hot chocolate or Starbucks® holiday-themed lattes.
These drinks are delicious and, though they make your soul happy, it’s not as nutritious for the rest of your body. Being healthy is hard. To help with those seasonal cravings we’ve crafted some drink recipes that allow you to stay healthy while having a steaming cup of warmth in your hands all winter long.
Drink Recipes for Your Freezing Office
These drink recipes are a little more exciting than green tea and coffee, and healthier than hot chocolate. Try the steamer to substitute out your morning coffee or enjoy any of these caffeine-free drinks in the evening without fear of staying up all night.
Hot Lemon Water
Turns out lemonade isn’t just for the summer. There’s lots of information about how good lemon water is for you and your body, and it can seem like there are endless benefits. Warm or cold, this blend has plenty of advantages that prove you should be drinking it all year round.
1 ½ cup boiling water
1 freshly squeezed lemon
¼ teaspoon stevia
Dash of cayenne pepper
- Boil water on the stove or heat it up in a mug for several minutes in the microwave.
- Transfer boiling water to a mug. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the mug. Stir.
- Stir in the sugar and cayenne pepper and enjoy.
Spiced Coconut-Almond Milk
Coconut flavor seems to be all the rage lately, so of course we want to work it into a drink that can be enjoyed any time of year. The spices included in this blend add the kick that helps you stay healthy, such as turmeric, which improves digestion, and cinnamon, which boosts metabolism.
1 ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon coconut oil or coconut flavoring
Dash of nutmeg
½ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon almond extract
- Combine milk, almond extract, and coconut in a saucepan over low heat.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the remaining ingredients and mix together.
- Stir the spice mixture into the saucepan and bring it to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
Vanilla Almond Steamer
As a caffeine-free latte, a steamer can be a tasty alternative to those sugary coffee drinks, or a pre-bedtime treat. We use stevia instead of sugar and substitute regular milk for almond milk to create this healthy mix. For even more flavor feel free to add in some almond extract or include some additional spices, such as nutmeg. A few cinnamon sticks for garnish turns this into an Instagram-worthy drink.
1 ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
¼ cup stevia
Dash of ground cinnamon
2/3 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan combine the almond milk and stevia, cook until the sugar dissolves, stirring regularly. After the sugar dissolves, simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla extract and simmer for about three more minutes.
- Remove from heat. Pour into a mug and add a dash of cinnamon. Add a cinnamon stick for garnish and enjoy!
Take some time this season to enjoy these steamy winter drink recipes. Which one are you most excited to try?
Written and Published by Jessica – Writer at HMS Mfg. Co. for the Stola™ brand
Copyright © 2018 by HMS Mfg. Co. All Rights Reserved.